This page outlines the entire Southwest Sciences
company web site as of August 2016.
Home Page Overview and what's new.
About the Company History and business areas
Links to the resumes of the staff:
- Alan Stanton, President
- Joel Silver, Executive Vice President
- Kris Peterson, Vice President, Business Development
- Tony Gomez, Senior Research Scientist
- Chris Hovde, Principal Research Scientist
- Steve Massick, Senior Research Scientist
- Mark Paige, Principal Research Scientist
- Frank Carey, Research Engineer
- Mary K. Silver, Treasurer
- Lenise Martinez, Administrative Assistant
- Debbi Brody, Contract Administrator
Products and Services What we can do for you:
- OTS 100 gas analyzer. Measure trace gases with confidence.
- Research and development services Call us to talk about your research needs.
- SWSpectrum software for spectral lineshape computation and display
- Custom Instruments form We'll design instruments to meet your most challenging requirements
Research An overview of our research projects and capabilities.
- Laser Sensing Tutorial
- Research Projects examples of recent and ongoing work
- VCSEL hygrometer that operates
on the HIAPER GV from the surface to the lower stratosphere.
- Flight testing of the VCSEL hygrometer.
- Hygrometer for weather balloons Ulta-low cost, ultra-light weight, battery powered hygrometer can launch on a standard weather balloon.
- Imaging flame chemistry in two dimensions Mapping water vapor and other species in microgravity flames.
- Low-G Movie Water vapor imaged in a microgravity flame, with both temporal and spatial resolution.
- Measuring methane emitted from Arctic tundra Diode-laser based measurement of greenhouse gases in northern Alaska.
- Measuring moisture in semiconductor feed gas Part per billion quantification of water vapor in nitrogen and other gases.
- Optical Coherence Tomography Novel methods for imaging structures for medical, biological, and material science applications
- Papers A list of company publications.
- Sponsors The organizations that have funded our research activities.
- Collaborators Links to scientists with whom we have worked. Frequency-resolved optical gating, an ultrafast laser diagnostic.
- Licensing Opportunities
- Diode Laser-Based Ketone and Aldehyde Detection, S. E. Massick, U. S. Patent 7,790,467 issued Sept 7 2010.
- Portable natural gas leak detector, M. E. Paige et al., U. S. Patent 7,710,568, issued May 4, 2010
- Gas measurement over extreme dynamic range of concentrations, Joel A. Silver et al U. S. Patent 7,616,316, issued Nov 10, 2009.
- Dense pattern optical multipass cell, J. A. Silver, U. S. Patent 7,477,377 Issued Jan 13, 2009
- Method and apparatus for full phase interferometry, U. S. Patent 7,394,546 issued Jul 1, 2008.
- Oxygen Sensor for Aircraft Fuel Inerting Systems, S. J. Chen and J. A. Silver, U. S. Patent 7,352,464 issued Apr 1, 2008.
- Near Re-Entrant Dense Pattern Optical Multipass Cell, U. S. Patent 7,307,716
- "Broadband External Cavity Diode Laser " J. S. Pilgrim and D. J. Kane, U. S. Patent 7,245,642, issued July 17, 2007.
- "Envelope Functions for Modulation Spectroscopy," D. C. Hovde, U. S. Patent 7,230,711, issued June 12, 2007.
- "Fire Alarm Algorithm using Smoke and Gas Sensors," S. J. Chen, U. S. Patent 7,142,105, issued November 28, 2006.
- "Optical Absorbance Sensitivity and Reliability Improvement via Rotation of Sample Container," M. E. Paige, D. S. Bomse and J. A. Silver, U. S. Patent 7,126,685, issued Oct. 24, 2006.
- "Determination of Fit Basis Functions," D. J. Kane and D. C. Hovde, U. S. Patent 7,092,852, issued August 15, 2006.
- "Method and Apparatus for Imaging Internal Structures of Transparent and Translucent Materials," D. J. Kane, A. B. Vakhtin and K. A. Petersen, U. S. Patent 7,079,254, issued July 18,2006.
- "Determination of Fit Basis Functions," D. J. Kane and D. C. Hovde, U. S. Patent 7,003,436, issued February 21, 2006.
- "Envelope Functions for Modulation Spectroscopy," D. C. Hovde, U. S. Patent 6,940,599, issued September 6, 2005.
- "Discrete Wavelength-Locked External Cavity Laser," J. S. Pilgrim and J. A. Silver, U. S. Patent 6,914,917, issued July 5, 2005.
- "Wavelength Agile External Cavity Diode Laser," J. S. Pilgrim and D. B. Oh, U. S. Patent 6,683,895, issued January 27,2004.
- "Acoustic Resonance Frequency Locked Photoacoustic Spectrometer," J. S. Pilgrim, D. S. Bomse and J. A. Silver, U. S. Patent 6,618,148, issued September 9, 2003.
- "Filtering to Measure Gas Concentrations from Spectral Features," D. C. Hovde, U. S. Patent 6,615,142, issued September 2, 2003.
- "Tone Burst Diode Laser Spectroscopy," D. C. Hovde, U. S. Patent 6,611,335, issued August 26, 2003.
- "Acoustic Resonance Phase Locked Photoacoustic Spectrometer," J. S. Pilgrim, D. S. Bomse, and J. A. Silver, U. S. Patent 6,608,683, issued August 19, 2003.
- "Electro-Optic Electric Field Probe," D. J. Kane, U. S. Patent 6,587,258, Issued July, 2003.
- "Wavelength Modulated Photoacoustic Spectrometer", J. S. Pilgrim and D. S. Bomse, U. S. patent 6,552,792 issued April 22, 2003.
- "Wavelength modulation spectroscopy with multiple harmonic detection,," J. A. Silver and D. S. Bomse, U. S. Patent 6,356,350, issued March 12, 2002.
- "Dual-modulation laser line-locking technique for wavelength modulation spectroscopy,," D. S. Bomse, D. C. Hovde and J. A. Silver, U. S. Patent 6,351,309, issued February 26, 2002.
- "Method and apparatus for determining wave characteristics from wave phenomena,," D. J. Kane, U. S. Patent 6,219,142, issued April, 2001.
- "Phaseless wavelength modulation spectroscopy,," D. S. Bomse, U. S. Patent 5,973,782 issued October, 1999.
- "Dual-modulation laser line-locking for wavelength modulation spectroscopy," D. S. Bomse and J. A. Silver, U. S. Patent 5,969,825, issued October, 1999.
- "Process for reducing interfering signals in optical measurements of water vapor," D. C. Hovde, D. J. Kane and J. A. Silver, U. S. Patent 5,804,702, issued September, 1998.
- "Mass Spectrometric Method and Apparatus," D. S. Bomse, J. A. Silver and A. C. Stanton, U. S. Patent 5,015,848, issued May, 1991; U. K. Patent 2237882 B, issued April, 1994; German Patent DE 40 32 491 C2, issued July, 1998.
- "Laser Absorption Detection Enhancing Apparatus and Method," J. A. Silver and A. C. Stanton, U. S. Patent 4,934,816, issued June, 1990.
- Servomex Our laser gas sensing technology is used to measure water vapor contamination as low as one part per billion in this product for the semiconductor industry.
- LI-COR Biosciences® has developed the LI-7700 open-path CH4 analyzer for measuring methane fluxes over ecosystems.
- Southern Cross Portable natural gas leak detector for pipeline leak checking.
- Mesa Photonics--Industry-leading VideoFROG software and hardware for ultrafast pulse analysis.